Recently my husband Dave had a luscious custardy-coconutty dessert at a restaurant that reminded me of a recipe I hadn’t made in a LONG time. So . . . I dug it out on Saturday, much to his delight! It’s super-easy and makes the house smell heavenly. As it bakes, the ingredients form three layers—a soft “crust,” a creamy filling, and a crunchy topping. When I first started making this I didn’t own a blender so I just used a regular mixer, which works just fine. But . . . the blender is even quicker! ♥ UPDATE: Click here for a gluten-free, lactose-free version of this recipe from Awesome Sauce & Asshattery!
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch glass cake or pie pan.
2. Whirl the following in the blender:
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (cut into small bits)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
3. Pour the mixture into the pan. Sprinkle 2 cups of sweetened coconut flakes over the top.
4. Bake for 55 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.