One of my teacher friends posted this adorable chart-paper poster from the First Grader At Last! blog on Pinterest. I wanted to make one for a teacher in my family, but instead of recopying it on paper I decided to embroider the whole thing! Crazy, I know! But here are the steps:
- Find some fabric that looks like notebook paper, cut out a rectangle, and embroider the red line and “holes.”
- Print the sayings lightly in pencil on the lines.
- Embroider, using a different color of floss for each line.
- Cut out a piece of quilt batting and back fabric, stack and pin (with right sides together), and stitch the sides and bottom.
- Trim the seams, turn, press, and top stitch the edges.
- Sew a strip of 2-inch seam facing to the top (right sides together), fold it back to make a dowel rod casing for hanging, and handstitch it down.
Here’s my colorful version, taped (a bit wonkily!) to a wall for a photo shoot before heading to a new kindergarten classroom. Happy school year! ♥